Thursday, October 30

Zest's Fall menu is here!

I enjoyed Uinta's Punkn as I studied the menu
I love Zest Kitchen & Bar for a few reasons: a serious commitment to using local produce, awesome adult beverages and delectable vegan options. I don't dine there as much as I'd like to, but when I do, I daydream about it for days.

Each season new dishes are introduced to the menu. I was invited (yay!) to celebrate the new and delicious tastes of fall at their celebration, fall zest fest, a four course meal with pumpkin beer pairings.



The first course was maple glazed butternut squash. The plate was dressed with tiny purple flowers, cinnamon oil and candied ginger cashews. Sweeping each bite of buttery squash through cinnamon oil was heavenly. The added crunch of the zesty cashews accentuated the sweet taste and smooth texture. This dish was paired with Wasatch Breweries Pumpkin Ale, which was spicy enough to be paired with a sweet dish, bringing out all the good pumpkin pie flavors. 


Our next course was a spicy coconut curry with local veggies accompanied by Epic's Imperial Pumpkin Porter. The forbidden rice is pretty and black (perfect for Halloween!) and the vegetables were firm to the bite - just perfectly cooked! The vanilla and nutmeg made this beer taste like dessert, which tasted wonderful with the curry.


My favorite dish of the night surprised the hell out of me. I don't enjoy quinoa, but here I was, practically licking the plate. They combine pureed spinach while they cook the quinoa, so it soaks up all the evil! Brilliant. The ratatouille was bursting with savory eggplant and tomatoes. The beer we enjoyed with the dish was Uinta's Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin. This was the best beer of the night (and the cutest label!) and at 10.31% alcohol (like Halloween - get it?!) it left the biggest impression. Aged in oak barrels, this beer has prominent whiskey notes along side vanilla and pumpkin.


Pumpkin Bread Pudding was served for dessert. I dug in, cracking through the top layer like a creme brulee. The plate was dressed with caramel and a coconut cream sauce, sprinkled with roasted pumpkin seeds. Oh. My. God. This was a remarkable dessert, not too sweet and very satisfying. A spiked apple cider made with High West Whiskey was delicious with the bread pudding - sweet and tart while warming my belly.

Get yourself to Zest this fall to sample these warming, cozy fall dishes and drinks. And do not leave without that dessert!


Zest Kitchen & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment