Saturday, September 6

Vegetarian Lasagna - Eat Local Week

 

 This vegetarian lasagna is exactly half local. If you're doing the hard core challenge, it might not work for this week, but keep it in mind. It's a delicious (and simple) way to use extra yellow squash and zucchini. I got the idea from The Pioneer Woman (love her!) and this recipe. It doesn't use sauce, but sauteed veggies. The great thing is that you can use whatever vegetables you want. Eggplant would have been awesome, so would have mushrooms.


A good lasagna needs good noodles. Make sure you have a huge pot, so they can move around. Add some Real Salt to the water. This makes a huge difference in how your pasta tastes. Boil the noodles until they are al dente. While they are boiling, chop up one yellow squash, a zucchini, an onion and a bunch of cloves of garlic. I think I used four or five.


Saute the onions and garlic with olive oil, once they are transparent add the veggies and season with salt and pepper. Now it's time to ready your cheese. There is plenty of local cheese to be found, but I was hell-bent on cleaning out the fridge. I used a package of ricotta and a package of those little balls of mozzarella. Mix an egg into the ricotta with some salt and pepper. If you're vegan, use this clever and tasty recipe for tofu ricotta.



Add some veggies to the bottom of the pan and start layering. Veggies, noodles and cheese is the order. I had a half bottle of sun-dried tomato pesto, so I took the opportunity to use it up. I also added some breadcrumbs and Parmesan to the top.  Preheat your oven to 350 and let it cook for 30 minutes, until it's all nice and browned.


Let it cool for a half hour before you slice into it. I love how it's not sopping with tomato sauce - it's a very tidy and light lasagna, but still flavorful and satisfying. And did I mention how easy it was to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment