Monday, September 1

Eat Local Week: Panzanella Salad


Panzanella salad is one of my favorite summer meals. Comprised of stale bread, ripe tomatoes and dressed with olive oil and vinegar, it's easy to make and a clever way to use your extra produce. No recipe is needed; I'm sure you could find one, but us Italians will laugh at you. This simple salad is the result of extra cucumbers, corn and an overflowing herb garden. 

I like to raid the day old bread at Caputo's. It's like $2.00 or something ridiculous. It comes from Eva's Bakery, where they use only organic, local flour. Cut it into cubes and leave it out on the counter to dry out.  Once it's nice and stale, cut up tomatoes and any other veggies you'd like to use. I added corn and Armenian cucumbers from Urban Farm and Feed. Stir it up and add olive oil and vinegar to taste. These are not local. Sorry. Luckily we do have a wonderful local salt to use, Real Salt. You can find it at most places. My porch garden is full of fresh basil and parsley, I chopped up a bunch and added it to the mixture. Yum. This salad is best once all the flavors have mingled and the bread has soaked up the olive oil and vinegar. 

See? Eating local doesn't have to be tricky or complicated. This salad can be made a hundred different ways. I love it because it's a good solution to use up my veggies and makes a tasty and filling lunch to bring to work. You could also add a good local cheese, homemade pesto, or thinly sliced Creminelli salami. Go crazy.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! Yum! Yum! I love how you say, "No recipe is needed; I'm sure you could find one, but us Italians will laugh at you." This is exactly how Latins feel about sharing recipes (aka teaching others to cook)

    ReplyDelete