Saturday, July 7

Stick Dog delivers the food you're craving ....

Working in downtown Salt Lake City has its delicious vegan food privileges; I've built this entire blog on it! But what if you can't leave the office, and the microwave noodles you've had in your desk for weeks sound gross!? WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS? Then you call Stick Dog. And your day gets a little big better. Stick Dog is a pedicab service in Salt Lake City that delivers lunch from local restaurants. The number of restaurants they deliver from has doubled since last year, there's so many different options!

And guess what? Bret,  the guy behind Stick Dog is VEGAN and was nice enough to answer some questions for me. Here they are. :)



1. In a few sentences, why are you vegan?
Originally I became vegan to lose weight.  I watched documentaries like, "Forks over Knives," and learned more about the many health benefits.
I have since found my energy ramped up to 11.


2. What are some of your favorite vegan dishes in Salt Lake?
For the first months I only cooked at home.  I found that an easier way to control the ingredients in the food that I ate.  The first prepared food I purchased was at City Dogs.  I had the Mad Hatter Tempeh wrap.  I next tried Union Street and loved their food as well.  Now that I've learned more about my new lifestyle I look forward to eating out more.


3. How did you decide to open Stick Dog?
It all started with a black lab husky I rescued in Alaska and named, "Stick Dog."  I opened a store and charter business on the water and called it, "Stick Dog."
Stick and I lived on a sailboat across from the store. 
In SLC I first opened a pedicab business and the branched out into the food delivery realm.  We use bikes to deliver for many downtown restaurants.  We only deliver for locally owned businesses.  Only prisoners eat in chains.


4. What are some of your favorite restaurants you deliver from?
The Robin's Nest, City Dogs, Pepper's Pita and Union Street.


5. How much do people usually tip? I do 20% but I never know if it's enough!
 Originally we only worked for tips but over time found out that many people were not familiar with the concept of a tip.
We now call it a fee and charge a minimum of $3 or 15% whichever is greater.
Many customers assume we are paid an hourly wage.
Stick Dog is kind of a strange business model.  We are not paid by the restaurants and the bikers split the days cash.  Unless I'm biking I don't take a cut.
It has taken a few years to get the word out about our service but we gain new customers every day.
This whole thing has been a labor of love.  Many restaurants can't afford their own delivery people so we help by providing this service.
............................................................

Below you will find a sampling of all the delicious vegan options you can have delivered in Salt Lake by Stick Dog. One of my favorite restaurants they deliver from is Pepper's Pita. Seriously fresh, inexpensive, delicious food is happening at that place! 

Hummus Tabboulah Pita
Red pepper hummus, tabboulah salad with cucumber, tomato, onion, kalamata olives, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Tabboulah Salad
Served on a bed of mixed greens with tomatoes, onion, green pepper, olives, crumbled feta and our balsamic vinaigrette.

This year I'll be ordering a lot of Union Street Eats and The Curryer. My office moved further from my favorite places and it's been heartbreaking!

I can't remember what this is! But I love everything vegan from The Curryer!

LA PAZ from Union Street Eats
Fire-warmed corn tortillas filled with breaded and fried citrus-marinated tempeh sticks. topped with crisp cabbage, spicy bueno sauce,
lime wedge and cilantro.

A few of the places they deliver from that I love to eat!

the Classic Greek Salad (minus feta) from Greek Souvlaki

from Gourmandise: Vegetarian Chickpea Smash: Uniquely delicious… gently smashed chickpeas, chopped olives, finely-diced red onions
and fresh Italian flat leaf parsley tossed in a light lemon olive oil dressing. Served with fresh avocados and roasted red
peppers on toasted bread. (Half: $6.25, Full: $8.45)
One of the best veggie sandwiches comes from the Robin's Nest
The Grand Slam of Veggies!!
Portabello Mushrooms, Sweet Roasted Red Peppers,
Artichoke Hearts, Red Onion, Spinach,
& Roasted Garlic Spread on Ciabatta
(Great w/Avocado!)
 


1 comment:

  1. This makes me wish (even more than I already do) that I worked downtown! Thanks for the info about stick dog, I never even know it existed!

    ReplyDelete