Friday, May 25

Welcome back Salt City Dogs!



Even a plain ol' hot dog with saurkraut and relish hits the spot!


It's almost SUMMER!! How exciting! And even more exciting, Salt Lake's favorite vegan hot dog cart is back in action. Bre and Dave are the owners of Salt City Dogs this year. Stop by and say HI! They were nice enough to take time to answer a few questions for me.




Why did you guys purchase City Dogs?

 Bre- I've been in the restaurant industry for about 15 years and have wanted to start a restaurant or food truck/cart of my own. When we say that Jesse was selling City Dogs we figured it would be a great way to get things going. We're hoping to expand in the future, either with another cart somewhere else or finding a fixed location, so we can try making different things and possibly just having the cart for special events.
Dave- I love to cook and I'm glad to have the opportunity to own my own business.

What is your background in regards to vegetarianism?

Bre- I've been vegetarian for 16 years. I stopped eating meat because I didn't enjoy the taste and texture of it. It's great to see how many more options for vegetarians there are nowadays.
Dave- I was a meat eater until I started to try Bre's food and a few vegetarian restaurants. I slowly stopped eating meat over the past few years and amazed at how many different options there are besides meat and potatoes, so to speak.


The PETA Award Winning City Dog. Tomatoes, pickled asparagus, onions, peppers and celery salt! YUM!


 What's your favorite thing you sell? Where you customers before you bought the cart?

Bre- I love everything we sell, it just depends on what sounds good each day. One thing that I can't get enough of is the Raz Dillos from Cakewalk. They are amazing! I actually never ate at City Dogs before we bought it. I didn't go downtown much before and when I did it was usually later and was closed for the day.
Dave- I love the brats, Dee style. MMMmmmm!
  

 Are you still working with Stick Dog for deliveries downtown? (Stick Dog is an awesome bike delivery service for busy downtown folk - check this post from last summer!)

 Bre- Yes, we're still working with Stick Dogs. I think Stick Dogs is a great idea and glad we can be a part of it.


Not a hot dog! But a delicious wrap filled with tempeh salad  (think chicken salad but better)! 
 
What is your clientele like?  What's been the most popular dog to order?

Bre- The clientele is a wide range of people I think. We've gotten quite a few people that don't realize everything is vegan, but try it anyway and enjoy it. It's hard to say what is most popular. One day we'll sell lots of brats, then next day hardly any at all, but the Dee Dog and City Dog seem to be good sellers. Lately I've been making City Dogs and Dee Dogs with the brats or Italian sausages and they are delicious!
 Dave- I'm surprised by the diversity of vegans and the people wanting to try vegan food. People I wouldn't really think to be a vegan/vegetarian come and order from us. Nice to see now that there isn't a stereotypical vegan.


My favorite! The Dee Dog - vegan cream cheese, guacamole, Daiya cheddar and jalapenos. SO VERY GOOD.

Salt City Dogs on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment