Tuesday, April 24

Meet Alexis Levitt


I thought it would be fun to interview local vegans in Salt Lake City since we're the "Best Greatest Vegan City in the World" or whatever.  Meet Alexis Levitt!



 1. In one sentence, why are you vegan?

I am vegan because, in Eleanor Roosevelt’s words “it is better to light a candle than cure the darkness”. I think that in any place where there is a dominant and oppressive culture in control there are bound to be strong countercultures fighting against it.

 2. Why do you think Salt Lake has such a big vegan scene?

The vegan scene is awesome and there are several other countercultures, such as the strong LGBT community, that are alive and well in Salt Lake despite the common perception of the state as uber conservative.


3. Do you consider yourself an activist? How so?


 I don’t know if I would consider myself much of an activist. Yet, at the same time, I think that activism must always start by changing your own life to reflect what you are fighting for. To quote another wise person, “Be the change you want to see in the world” –Mahatma Gandhi

4. What is your favorite place to eat for the following (and why?) …

 Breakfast: Vertical Diner. The Avalanche is awesome

Lunch: Depends on my mood but I’m a fan of the Trolley Square Whole Foods at the moment because there are so many options to choose from.

 Dinner: Right now I’m obsessed with Mahider. It’s an Ethiopian restaurant and they have tons of vegan options. Grocery Shopping: Cali’s of course for specialty items, regular old Smith’s for everything else.

 Coffee: I’m trying to cut back on caffeine so I usually go to the Tea Grotto for herbal tea. They also have a great selection of vegan desserts there. Treat: City Cakes! I can’t get enough of the cinnamon rolls.

Take Out: The veggie combo at Ali Baba Kabob and Curry.


5. What restaurant has surprised you with vegan options?

Squatters surprised me by having so many vegan options. It didn’t seem like the kind of place that would have that from the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment