Wednesday, April 6

Simple fruit leather - no dehydrator needed!

 
After a breakfast disaster of shredded wheat and mandarin oranges (don't ask), my friend Marianne offered to share her grape fruit leather with me. It was delicously grapey, and not at all like fruit leather from the store. The texture was perfect and not overtly sticky. I asked her to stop what she was doing and write up the recipe so I could share it.

After steaming the grapes to make grape juice, we use the steamed grapes to make fruit leather. Here's how we do it:
 
Pour the hot, steamy grapes into a sieve and using a masher, mash the grapes. What comes through the sieve is the beautiful, pulpy deliciousness that is later turned into fruit leather. To dry the pulp, you could use a food dehydrator, but I don't own one so I use my oven. I spray my 9x13 pans and pour an even layer of pulp into the pan. You can go as thin or as thick as you desire. Obviously, the thicker the layer, the longer it takes to dry, but if it's too thin, then it'll dry out too quickly and you have grape chips. I preheat my oven to 170 degrees and leave the pans in the oven for 4-6 hours. I'm constantly checking on its progress in the meantime. It's as simple as that!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yay! I've always wanted to make fruit leather but I thought a dehydrator was a must. This has made my day :)

    ReplyDelete