Tuesday, March 1

Organic food at a glacial pace



Solstice Tacos - miso, sunflower seeds & cheddar cheese toasted on a corn tortilla topped with shredded carrots, green bell peppers, tomatoes, leafy greens and cilantro lime dressing—7.00

Yep.  That's exactly what they were.  Everything was fresh and delicious. The salsa was remarkable - hot and garlic-y (like me!).  Of course I skipped the cheese, but the miso and sunflower seeds made the tacos slightly more substantial than a salad.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some baked tofu or something.

The Solstice Cafe is pretty charming, in a new-age hippie sort of way.  However, the service was slow. Like really slow.  My husband and I were the only customers and it took about ten minutes to get my coffee between two workers. Our tacos didn't come for another (what seemed like) 20 minutes.  I'm trying hard not to exaggerate, so understand that I didn't time any of this; it just seemed like forever and ever.  Also, my coffee wasn't refilled.  If I was at the Vertical Diner, my coffee would have been filled at least three times.

I'd rather spend the $7.00 on groceries and make the tacos myself. Is my food blog making me jaded?  At one point I would have been so happy with the Solstice Tacos, but now I think the name is dumb and I could make them tastier for less money at home.

Cafe Solstice on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. They sound like the old "sun tacos" of New Frontiers deli counter, back in the day. I did make them at home and they are very tasty. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG THEY ARE!! I didn't think anyone would get the reference! My husband actually ordered them as "sun tacos". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've started reading your blog and realized you had reviewed my workplace :-) I don't know what was up when you were in speed-wise, but I can clear up a couple of things for you....

    Each cup of coffee is hand-pour, with freshly ground beans, so there's never a pot sitting around getting stale (unlike Vertical's nasty stuff, no offense, I loooooooove their food, just not their java!). If you ask for a refill, we'll cheerfully brew another cup for ya! (Since it's counter-service as opposed to sit-down-get-waited-upon, you'll need to go back up to the counter).

    AND....here's the taco recipe, as published in the Tribune last week. Of course, the secret ingredient - the homemade cilantro dressing - isn't disclosed, but the cafe does sell in it their cooler so you can enjoy the good ol' Sun Tacos at home :-)

    (And oh, yeah, ask to sub Avo for cheese....it gets grilled with the miso and sunflower seeds and is AWESOME!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I didn't know it was counter service! I really didn't! Maybe they should make that more obvious for the slow people. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. People like you should not be allowed on the internet!!!! BOO!

    ReplyDelete