Wednesday, February 9

Rio Grande - vegans, you have been warned



Rio Grande Cafe on Urbanspoon

This place has been pissing me off regularly for the past five years. It's also the place where I happen to have a lot of work-related lunches.

I have never had anything come the way I've ordered it. In fact, there's been times where I've had to send my food back twice. They really don't understand the concept of "no cheese" no matter how many times, or how politely you tell them. They just won't have it. Everything gets cheese.

Today when I ordered my a la carte burrito, sans cheese, with enchilada sauce, no cheese, it arrived with sour cream. Maybe if I was in a better mood I would have thought it was funny. Maybe not.

I scraped at my plate and ate the end parts of the burrito, which was really bland. The waiter forgot to bring my hot sauce and guacamole. In any other restaurant I would have sent it back, or asked the waiter about the stuff he forgot, but I wasn't feeling that optimistic.

The check came, and the waiter had added a charge of .75 for my sour cream. I paid at the register, mentioning that I didn't order the sour cream. The cashier asked the waiter if this was true. He said to me that he would check his notes. I told him that I was positive I didn't order it. A nice co-worker told him that I was vegan and that I don't eat dairy, so there's no way I would have ordered it. He apologized and I put a voodoo curse on him.

The end.

9 comments:

  1. They give you sour cream you didn't ask for, nay, that you expressly said you DID NOT want, AND they charge you extra for it? Bastards! Glad you hexed him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did. I've never been so mad at a burrito. :p The waiter will soon be experiencing a ironic voodoo punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to start putting more voodoo curses on people. Sorry about your burrito :o( We've all been there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you dear! and yes to more voodoo curses!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A vegan meal at the rio grande isn't possible. Some how you've been mislead into thinking this. Please don't curse them, it's like cursing McDonalds for the same

    ReplyDelete
  6. In retrospect I was a bit harsh but voodoo princesess are known to fly off handle occasionally. At least RioGrande has neat old timey bathrooms and is purportedly haunted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For downtown Mexican dining, I highly recommend the Blue Iguana. I am a regular there, and they have never messed up my order. Their rice and beans are vegan. I love the hongos (mushroom) tacos, Blue Iguana tacos, enmoladas and the veggie enchilada (with a good variety of vegetables). You can get all of these without cheese, and they know what vegan is. The service is fantastic, and the food is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I haven't been there yet! That all sounds so delicious. Thanks! :) I still need to check out Frida Bistro too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The black beans are without meat as is the salsa, enchilada sauce, and guacamole. Did you get the guacamole? Have you wished anyone well lately? I wish you well and may you find some joy in all things. Don't waste curses on annoyances.

    ReplyDelete